Wednesday, April 27, 2011

American Apparel NEON


Since the launch of their initial line of polishes, I've been a HUGE fan of American Apparel polishes, listing many of them amongst my absolute favorite polishes. Naturally, when I got the information that they were releasing a NEON collection, I was super stoked! OK, on to the swatches! In the collection, there are 6 colors, Neon Orange, Neon Yellow, Neon Green, Neon Coral, Neon Purple, and Neon Red, and today, I have 3 of those to show you!

Bear in mind that neons photograph horribly, and photos never do them justice. These are truly retina searing (especially the Neon Yellow!!)


Neon tangerine orange

This is full on neon Kraft Macaroni & Cheese orange. Formula was a tad on the thick side, but still workable. I found that this was shinier than most neons I've tried, but not glossy by any stretch. I enjoy this color, it's super fun! :-P The second picture, though blurry, is closer to the actual brightness of the color. In my head I'm thinking this is very similar to China Glaze Sun Worshipper, I'll have to do a comparison later.

Opacity scale (1-5): 3

Use for Konad: Stamps ok on lighter colors, but not darker colors.

Finish: Neon, 2-3 coats to be opaque.





Neon lime green

This color is awesome. I love that it's opaque and EXTREMELY bright. A bit thick again on this formula, which made this one a tad harder to even out.

Opacity scale (1-5): 3

Use for Konad: Stamps ok on lighter colors, but not great on darker colors.

Finish: Neon, 2-3 coats to be opaque.






Neon yellow

Pure and simple, this polish requires sunglasses. It is that perfect, opaque, retina-searing shade of neon yellow that we all can love. Once again, the formula was a little thick, but ultimately I didn't mind because I enjoyed the color so much. 

Opacity scale (1-5): 3

Use for Konad: Stamps ok on lighter colors, but not great on darker colors.

Finish: Neon, 2-3 coats to be opaque.


What it really comes down to...

Like I said before, AA polishes rank among my favorite polishes, and these NEONS didn't disappoint! They're opaque, and are insanely bright without even a white base to make them pop!  One problematic thing I encountered across the three I got to try is that they are a little on the thick side, which made it hard to get them even, but the work, in my opinion, was worth it, because these colors rock. They're not super unique as far as neons go, but the fact that they don't require a base of white, and still are completely opaque won me over. 


2 comments:

  1. you are the ONLY site I can right now with swatches of any of the colors from this collection. I love that you swatched them as soon as you got them, thanks for that! cuz basically it helped me to decide to get them. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete